Friday, June 29, 2012

Morse Ambassador Vintage Sewing Machine




My new best friend. 


She is a mid-century Morse "Ambassador" Zig Zag sewing machine in two-tone pink. A grad school friend gave her to me. 

I don't know anything about vintage machines except that metal machines will last a really long time and generally need less repairs, and that they are beautiful. I am trying desperately to find out more about her and hoping to get some opinions on how much to pay to get her cleaned and fixed up.  I would love to have her as my "back up" machine and to get rid of the Wal-Mart Brother that I started on. 



Is this the model number? It says "802" This is the bottom of the machine. 



Or is this the model number? It says "J-A19. M. NA 12777 (the last part is probably the serial number). This is stamped on the side of the machine under the deck on the front left. 




Or is this? "J-C4" is stamped under the machine in the front. 

The internet is not helping me. I'm finding a lot of similar machines, but not this one... 



Back view. The metal plate reads "FOR COTTON SIZE OF SILK OR LINEN NEEDLE
then under that
100 to 150 cotton
30 silk (9)
80 to 100 cotton
24 to 80 silk (11)
50 to 80 cotton
20 silk (14)


Motor showing Morse badge
The badge reads "Morse Sewing Machine Motor. 1/8 H.P. 12 AMP AC DC 15 VOLTS
NEW YORK LOS ANGELES TOKYO MADE IN JAPAN






The red button has a "R" on it for reversing. 



All of the other Morse machines I can find pictures of online have three buttons for Drop Feed options. This machine also has three settings - S for Silk, N for Normal, and E for Embroidery - but only the two buttons. 









Besides a good cleaning and tension adjustment, she also needs some wiring work.








This is the disgusting case. 




3 comments:

  1. She's beautiful! Hope you get her up and running. : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is Gorgeous! Did you find someone to help you get her fixed up?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found one at the goodwill for $10, I knew I could get her running. Very heavy, so I knew she is a work horse. Mine is different too. I cant find anything like it. Mine works great, needs oil and a tune up, but that it.

    ReplyDelete